Re: procmail, MH-folders, and unseen-sequence

1997-12-03 10:20:59
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:55:14 -0500 Walter Dnes wrote
 Was the lock ignored by procmail or by the OS?  My ISP has
NFS-mounted drives.  To say the least, NFS is *NOT* "lock-friendly",
and I get a couple of lock/unlock failure messages with every spam
that's thrown to my spam-header collection file.

It was ignored by procmail.  This was completely my mistake.

Basically, what I was doing was filtering out messages with a subject
of 'cmsg cancel' from the mh-users mailing list/newsgroup.
I originally had:

:0 w: mhlock
* ... catch mh-users mail ...
| rcvstore +mh-users

Where the rcvstore is needed for mh-friendly handling of MH folders
(i.e. it respects Unseen-sequence).  I needed the lockfile in order
to serialize these.

When I attempted to filter out the cmsg's, I just replaced the
| ... line with
* ^Subject: cmsg cancel
/dev/null

:0 w
| rcvstore +mh-users
}
without changing the lockfile setup.  This (I believe) is what was
causing my errors.

My reason for the original post was simply this:  If procmail could
somehow be hacked to include rcvstore's functionality, I would not
have needed the locallockfile, and would not have made this error.

Also, my question of "does this feature belong in procmail" should
probably have been worded "would the inclusion of this feature
violate the procmail philosophy?"

--
Chris Mikkelson
mikk0022(_at_)maroon(_dot_)tc(_dot_)umn(_dot_)edu