Re: Variable checking routine...

1997-12-03 15:39:14
On Tue, 02 Dec 1997 12:47:28 -0800, Catherine Hampton
<ariel(_at_)best(_dot_)com>
wrote:
At 01:58 PM 12/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
Note that sh's ${variable:=defaultvalue} and ${variable=defaultvalue}
syntaxes are not available in a procmail rcfile.
???  Maybe I'm dense (not maybe in this case :), but weren't we just
discussing using this in a procmail rcfile?  What do you mean by "not
available"?

It means ${var:-value} and ${var:+value} are available, but not
${var:=value} which is contrary to what you'd expect if you'd expect
Procmail to behave exactly like the shell.

Catherine Hampton <ariel(_at_)tempest(_dot_)boxmail(_dot_)com>

While we have your attention, can you comment on the requirement of
Spam Bouncer to use ksh? I don't see anything Bourne-unfriendly in
there, but I haven't looked very closely at the code, and somebody on
the list stated it would not work with /bin/sh (unless I'm mistaken
and he was talking about csh or tcsh [yech]). This is one of the
recurring questions about Spam Bouncer and a rather serious
restriction to its usefulness -- ksh is by no means as widespread as
some people would like to make believe.

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>