Re: Can I find duplicate messages?

1997-12-08 09:24:48

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Chuck Campbell wrote:

Is there a way to identify duplicate messages?  I looked into the procmailrc
man page, and it looked like it might be pretty daunting with procmail
alone.  I was hoping there might be an archive with a recipe to do this
somewhere.

There is a simple, reliable way to ignore duplicate messages.  Use
formail to cache Message-ID.   Put this early in your rc.

<cite>
PROCMAILEX(5)                                       PROCMAILEX(5)

NAME
       procmailex - procmail rcfile examples

The following simple recipe eliminates duplicate mails.  It  tells
formail to  keep an 8KB cache file in which it will store the Message-IDs
of the most recent  mails  you  received.   Since Message-IDs  are
guaranteed  to  be  unique for every new mail, they are ideally suited
to weed out duplicate mails.  Simply put the following recipe at the
top of your rcfile, and no duplicate mail will get past it.

          :0 Wh: msgid.lock
          | formail -D 8192 msgid..cache

</cite>

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl(_at_)conservatory(_dot_)com>
]---l-i-v-i-n-g