Re: NFS screwup -> hung procmail

1997-12-13 20:58:49
Keith Pyle <keith(_at_)ibmoto(_dot_)com> writes:
There seems to be a bug where locks between the client (running AIX)
and the fileserver (Auspex) get lost.  To completely clear the problem,
we have to:
I would like to have an alarm timer around the procmail locking calls
so that the lock attempt would only block for a limited time.  If the
lock attempt fails, the mail could be requeued, and (even better) log
a warning.  Does anyone know if something like this is possible with
the current code?

There's currently no way to do that, and I would not suggest adding
it.  If it's just a matter of kernel locking not working between the
NFS server and client, recompile procmail without kernel locking (look
for NO_fcntl_LOCK and friends in config.h) and run with just dotlocking.
Then complain to your vendors again, suggesting that their failure to
implement locking correctly means you'll have to buy your next server
from someone else, say, Sun.

Philip Guenther