Procmail/formail detection of duplicates not working

1997-12-14 15:47:55

Greetings.  I've done what I could to search the archive of this list, but
haven't found the symptom I'm looking for.  I'm not a regular subscriber
to this list, so I'd appreciate a personal copy of any reply.

I've been running PROCMAIL 3.11pre7 for quite some time.  Detection of
duplicate mail, using the recipe included in the distribution:

:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

doesn't seem to work.  Not ever, as far as I can tell.

When I turn on the verbose logging, then on arrival of the first
copy _and_ on arrival of duplicate copies, I see this in the log:

procmail: Locking "msgid.lock"
procmail: Executing "formail,-D,8192,msgid.cache"
procmail: [22075] Sun Dec 14 22:03:04 1997
procmail: Program failure (1) of "formail"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=formail -D 8192 msgid.cache"
procmail: Unlocking "msgid.lock"

When I inspect the mails, I confirm that their message ids are identical,
and when I inspect the file msgid.cache subsequently, I find that the
message id string has been recorded there.  But formail does not seem to
be recognising that the second and subsequent copies are duplicates.

Is this a known problem, please?  With a solution, please?? ;-)

best regards