Re: New mailbox locking problem.

1997-12-16 14:52:02
On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Philip Guenther wrote:
What are the permissions on /usr/mail, and is procmail setuid or setgid
anything?

/usr/mail seems to be a symbolic link to /var/mail. /var/mail has 't', but
I don't know what that means.

$ ls -al /usr/mail
lrwxrwxrwx      1 root  root    11 May 26  1995 /usr/mail ->  ../var/mail
$ ls -al /var (trimmed to 'mail' listing)
drwxrwxr-t      4 root  mail    107008 Dec 16 13:17 mail
$ ls -al /var/mail/dh
-rw-------   1 dh       mail      195272 Dec 16 13:29 /var/mail/dh

You should probably upgrade to 3.11pre7.  3.10 has several nasty bugs,
and in pre7 Stephen finally fixed the "fallback to kernel locking with
unwritable mailspool" problem.

I'll bet that would fix it. I just need to know what I'm talking about to
have a meaningful discussion with the sysadmin. He has to realize it's in
his best interest, since he's got his hands full with other stuff.

Is this the sort of track kernal-locking leaves? And is kernal-locking
bad? Does NFS mounted devices have anything to do with this? I've seen
temporary files appear in ~/ with "nfs" in the filename when I don't
specify LOGFILE.

David Hunt

Requote of relevant logfile for interested parties:
procmail: [1440] Mon Dec 15 17:48:14 1997
procmail: Locking "/usr/mail/dh.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "/usr/mail/_VM0Gacme"
procmail: Lock failure on "/usr/mail/dh.lock"