Recipie

1997-12-30 05:10:56
Greetings-

I have played around with procmail a little and have gotten it to move my
mail to certain folders, and to eliminate most spam. Messages marked urgent
are automoatically forwarded to my AlphaPager, stuff like that. So.... I
have decided it is time to try something a little more serious.

I going to attempt to write a procmail recipie that will handling incoming
Technical Support requests. I want it to look at the subject of the
message. If the message does not have a request ID number, modify the
subject line so that is does, and then send the mail to all support
personel. The message should also be added to a file in a certain directory
named the same as the request number (as a log book of sorts).

If a Subject line does have a Req number in it... simply add it to the log
file for that particular request number and forward it to the appropriate
people.

Then... as phase two, I want to log all of the e-mail addresses the each
request initiated from, and place the e-mail address with each request
number. Then... when a e-mail comes in with the request number in the
subject line, it is mailed to all support personel, plus the e-mail address
that initiated the request.

For example: joe(_at_)john(_dot_)com send request to support(_at_)me(_dot_)com
with subject of HELP.

Procmail should append [1234] to the subject making it "[1234] Help". It
should then send an autoreply to joe(_at_)john(_dot_)com stating the message was
received and that his Request number is 1234. The reply-to address should
be modified to "support(_at_)me(_dot_)com".

Then the mail should be redirected to support-dist(_at_)me(_dot_)com [This is a
mailing list of all the current support technicians].

Then... a file should be updated showing that request 1234 was made by
joe(_at_)john(_dot_)com, and the body of the message should be added to a file
named
1234.

When the technician hits reply, it goes to support(_at_)me(_dot_)com(_dot_)
Procmail sees
[1234] in the subject. Appends the body of the message to the end of the
file named 1234. It then modifys the reply-to address to read
support(_at_)me(_dot_)com(_dot_)

Procmail then redirects the message to the name found in the request log
file for request 1234 (joe(_at_)john(_dot_)com) and also to
support-dist(_at_)me(_dot_)com(_dot_)

I hope all of that made sense. Now for the question.... is this impossible
with procmail, and, if not, does any one have any pointers, help, tips etc
to offer?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel J. Lashua