Re: junk email header

1998-01-25 15:55:53
David W. Tamkin wrote:

Someone said,

| > Since the ORIGINAL message is posted in, and THEN the
| > SMTP server adds the initial recieved line *ABOVE* the
| > message, there shouldn't be received lines interspersed
| > with the other headers.

And Doug Krause asked,

| How would a recipe test for this?

  :0
  * ^(From|Date|Subject|Reply-To):(.*$)+Received:
  { spamminess="interspersed Received: headers" }

    *WARNING* I've run into one *LEGITIMATE* situation where
the "From:" header is surrounded by "Received:" headers.  It
looks like a sender from a virtual domain, sending to a list
is the scenario.  All of his messages to the list display
this characteristic.
    I'll ask him to send me a test message direct (*NOT* via
the list) to see if this is a general problem.  In the meantime
I'm not applying that test to messages from mailing lists.  The
other option is to drop the "From:" but leave in the other
headers in the test, like so...

 :0
 * ^(Date|Subject|Reply-To):(.*$)+Received:

--
Walter Dnes (Toronto)
<waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com>