Re: junk email header

1998-01-16 13:26:09
On Friday, Jan 16, Professional Software Engineering
(PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org) spake thusly:
At 12:41 PM 1/16/98 -0500, Dmitry Yaitskov wrote:
On Friday, Jan 16, era eriksson (era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi) spake thusly:

I throw away stuff that has Received: lines beneath From:.

I do not understand this one, could you please explain?

The recieved lines are inserted at the top of the message (the bottommost
is supposed to be the insertion, and the toppmost is where it arrived at
your mail system right before your mailer got it).  Since the ORIGINAL
message is posted in, and THEN the SMTP server adds the initial recieved
line *ABOVE* the message, there shouldn't be received lines interspersed
with the other headers.

I see, thanx.

Well, it's not for you, and you can rather safely assume that stuff
that is not from a mailing list but still has To: equal to Reply-To:
is spam.

IMHO, this is the one most useful sign than a message is spam. It
might be that I do not receive too much junk email, but checking the
To: field is the only thing my own junk filter does, and it cautches
I'd say about 99% of all junk emails.

What about cc?  Do you never get legit bcc?  How about the FIRST message
you get after subscribing to a new mailing list (that message you need to
see in order to add the mailing list to your lists filter)?  Ever have a
mailing list switch to a new provider?

Oh, I'm sorry, of course I meant not the 'To:' header but rather the
'^TO' regular expression of procmail.

--
Cheers,
 -Dima.