rblcheck 1.1 released

1998-01-27 23:15:19
Hello,

As promised, rblcheck 1.1 has been released, sporting new (and heavily
corrected) documentation, and a couple of extra features to rblcheck
itself. A greatly improved procmail example has been provided, and the
explainations of integrating with different MTAs have been cleared up
quite a bit.

If you downloaded rblcheck 1.0 and are happy with it, this isn't one of
those "gotta have it" releases. The biggest change is that the nameservice
querying code is now relatively sane, and as a result, a -t option has
been added to display the TXT RR of a given address, if found to be
filtered.

I'm taking suggestions and comments; I can't really see what this needs in
terms of additional functionality, so I'm counting on someone creative to
show me that I'm shortsighted.

Anyways, here's some snippets from the README, if you don't know what
any of this is about:

rblcheck 1.1 - Command-line interface to Paul Vixie's RBL filter.
Copyright (C) 1997, Edward S. Marshall <emarshal(_at_)logic(_dot_)net>

[...snip...]

This program is a very basic interface to Paul Vixie's RBL filter.  The
basic idea of the filter is that when someone is blacklisted for an email
abuse, a new domain name is resolved in the form of
"a.b.c.d.rbl.maps.vix.com", where "a.b.c.d" is actually the IP address
"d.c.b.a". For example, if the IP address 127.0.0.2 were listed as a
blacklisted address, "2.0.0.127.rbl.maps.vix.com"  would have a DNS entry
(this is a real example; that address is in place as a verification
mechanism).

[...snip...]

For more information about the RBL blacklist, please take a look at
http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ . For more information about BIND, drop by
http://www.isc.org/bind.html . The official home page for rblcheck is at
http://www.xnet.com/~emarshal/rblcheck/ .

Any ideas, bugfixes, or porting notes should be sent to me at
"emarshal(_at_)logic(_dot_)net". Don't bug the MAPS people about this; they
didn't
write it, and probably woudn't like getting a bunch of mail about it.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

      Spammers: Please email my blacklisting service at
"spam(_at_)logic(_dot_)net".