Re: tilde expansion

1998-02-03 18:58:23
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Guy Geens recommended to Filippo Basso,

It's better to skip the extra process of a shell and use the $HOME variable,
as Guy originally suggested.  However, procmail knows only the user's home
directory and no one else's, so if you need to refer to another user's home
directory -- say, if another user at Filippo's site wants to use his prova
file -- the technique can be useful:

  SHELL=/something/that/groks/tildes
  PROVA=`cat ~basso/prova`

But, if all else fails, this works for me: `ksh -c "echo ~$user"`

And used occassionally when Netcom plaid its "shell-games" involving
moving $HOMEs, and managing to add bad links.

--
"I only touch base with reality on an as-needed basis!"
                -- Royal Floyd Mengot (Klaus)