Re: flow control in /etc/procmailrc

1998-02-13 05:04:00
On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:47:12 -0700 (MST), Sherwood Botsford
<sherwood(_at_)math(_dot_)ualberta(_dot_)ca> wrote:
I'd like to insert another recipe above the shout recipe to
watch for the MIME headers, and if it sees them, just skip
the rest of hte processing.  Not clear to me how to do that.

There is more to "MIME headers" than meets the eye. The way to look
for a message which is encoded using MIME is

    * ^Mime-Version:\<*1\.0

but that will basically only really tell you whether the sender used a
MIME-compliant MUA. You could probably rephrase your question as "I
want to detect multipart MIME messages" and then that would probably
look something like

    * ^Mime-Version:\<*1\.0
    * ^Content-Type:\<*mixed/multipart\>

but I'm guessing you will be back next week and ask what you can do
about MIME documents you don't want to receive which are not multipart
but rather single-part but not text ones. MIME allows a large
variation in what you can do and it sort of takes mind-reading
capabilities to guess how you want to handle each possibility.

All this is to say, you will probably be able to phrase your question
better, and solve it on your own, by reading up on MIME. The RFC used
to be something like 2045 (and 2046 etc) but I'm not sure if that's
the newest incarnation.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>