Memory usage question

1998-02-19 20:51:33
Hello,

Has anyone done any work as a set of unofficial patches to procmail for
using disk as a temporary message cache, and working on the message on
disk instead of in memory?

More importantly, the last time I delved into the procmail sources
(shudder), it seems to me that the idea struck me as non-trivial. Can
anyone comment on whether time would be better spent engineering a new
delivery agent from scratch?

Btw, I know that some people feel strongly that procmail has no place
making heroic attempts to worry about memory consumption; I, as a system
administrator of a heavily-used mail server, -must- consider this problem,
since restricting based on message size isn't an option...not every user
uses procmail, and some people legitimately transport large PDFs and Word
documents as a part of their regular business day.

I'm not interested in arguing the merits of doing it; I'm just curious if
someone has already done some work in this area, or if it's even worth
doing on the current codebase.

Thanks in advance for any pointers. :-)

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

      Spammers: Please email my blacklisting service at
"spam(_at_)logic(_dot_)net".