Re: Dealing with spam/UBE (no longer a summary)

1998-02-26 14:06:36
At 08:23 PM 2/26/98 +0200, era eriksson wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:25:19 -0700 (MST), kirk(_at_)rafferty(_dot_)org wrote:
I have an accept list of addresses that get to me.  When I post on
Usenet,
I use my Subject: line keyword so that email replies get to me.
Of course, you have to MODIFY subjects when you're following up to
others...  Good idea otherwise (though I'd still use a separate mail
alias

Unless of course you automatically add folks you mail TO to your
whitelist. Simple. If that's too much hassle, again, you could use a

'cepting that the particular example was one of posting on USENET (not to a
person), where followups might be made to you by who-knows-who.  And
posting using a plussed address that bypasses your filters, well, that'd
just open the floodgates for all the posts from usenet address drones.

The SAME problem can occur on mailing lists, where someone replies offlist.

Still, if you automatically blindcarboned yourself on all posts so that
subjects you post under are allowed unchecked on inbound, you could do
pretty well at limiting how much non-reply mail you get.

As for allowing "Re:" unchecked, NO WAY would *I* do that.  That technique
is on the rise.  And I know there are non-conformant MUAs -- Lotus (junky
corporate mailers - cc:Mail and Notes) leads the pack, but certainly isn't
the only one.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395