Re: Dealing with spam/UBE (no longer a summary)

1998-02-26 08:41:49

I have an accept list of addresses that get to me.  When I post on Usenet,
I use my Subject: line keyword so that email replies get to me.

Of course, you have to MODIFY subjects when you're following up to
others...  Good idea otherwise (though I'd still use a separate mail alias
for this -- if not a REAL alias, then at least a plussed address if you
have them).

Why not just accept any subject that start with "Re:"?  Yes, some spammers
are using "Re:" in their headers to try to get you to read it, but my
experience is that not enough of them are doing it to make much of a
difference.

The bonus to this is that anyone replying to you that forgets to modify
the subject line, still gets through.  You can then add them to your
list, and they don't ever have to worry about it.

--
  Email sent to me will be bounced unread unless the word "urza" is in
    the subject line; Disregard if you're on my "correspondent" list.