Re: Dealing with spam/UBE (no longer a summary)

1998-02-26 21:06:33
At 06:50 PM 2/26/98 -0800, Nick Halloway spoke:

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

Unless of course you automatically add folks you mail TO to your
whitelist. Simple. If that's too much hassle, again, you could use a

Please try to attribute quotes properly, or not at all.  The quote above
was from someone I followed up to in a previous post, not from me.

You can always add subject lines of threads that you participate in or
start on Usenet to the .procmailrc.  This could even be automated.

suggested in this thread, but it has already been addressed in the form of
a recipe, also in this thread.

I remember seeing a scheme on someone's web page for posting to Usenet
using plus-addresses and avoiding spam.  It was by a denizen of
news.software.readers.  I don't know the web page address.

This would only work if the plussed address was something you tell others
to purge before replying to.  Not an uncommon technique, thought the
plussed address means that even the spam will come to you (even if procmail
weeds it out for you, your server still takes the hit of receiving it).
For this reason, I prefer to use rerouted subdomains = no traffic at all.

If you're talking of some other technique involving plussed addressed,
please hunt up the URL and share it.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395