Re: How to test this recipe?

1998-03-23 10:24:29
FROM=`formail -rt -xTo:`

:0c
* ^TOsubscribe-req(_at_)flagfootball(_dot_)com
| perl $HOME/www/cgi/elistmgr/conf_reqDB.cgi $FROM

   I have a recipe that is supposed to fire off a perl script. I have
checked the permissions, etc but when email arrives nothing happens. When
I run the script from the command line it works quite well. How would I
know where the thing is dying? Is there some kind of error var I could
look at?

Have you tried running procmail from the commandline?

   cat testmessage | procmail -m .procmailrc

You might also want to do this at the top of your .procmailrc file:

   LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log
   VERBOSE=on

This creates a step-by-step log in ~/procmail.log.

You might want to put some sanity checks in there too.  What if I set my
From: header to:

   From: "Testing" <IFS='\ '&&exec$IFS/bin/rm$IFS-rf$IFS/>

You'd probably be a very unhappy camper.

Chris

P.S.  To all of you 'useless use of cat' people out there, I still maintain
      that it's a lot easier for someone trying to understand the intrinsics
      of procmail to read -- why should they get caught up in trying to
      understand a non left-to-right commandline syntax?  They can worry about
      that stuff later.