Re: help: sendmail w/ procmail as LDA

1998-03-24 20:14:29
Timothy J Luoma <luomat+Lists/procmail(_at_)luomat(_dot_)peak(_dot_)org> writes:
I am trying to get an m4 file together for sendmail (used for generating
sendmail.cf files with 'm4')

Right now my /etc/sendmail.cf looks like this:

Mprocmail,     P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=11/31, R=21/31,
T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
              A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

So I have set these

FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

but want to know what to do with these:

LOCAL_MAILER_PATH      [/bin/mail] The program used to deliver local mail.

The local_procmail feature resets this macro to the value of
PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH, so define that above where you do the
FEATURE(local_procmail).  PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH defaults
/usr/local/bin/procmail (well, actually, if P_M_P isn't defined, the m4
config files default to /usr/local/bin/procmail).

LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS     [rmn] The flags used by the local mailer.  The
                      flags lsDFM are always included.
LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS      [mail -d $u] The arguments passed to deliver local
                      mail.

Unless you need to make further tweaks to the mailer flags, you can ignore
these.  The local_procmail feature resets their values.

I was thinking I should make it look like this:

define(`LOCAL_MAILER_PATH', /usr/local/bin/procmail)dnl
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS', SPhnu9)dnl
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS', '-Y -m $h $f $u')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

Does that look right to anyone who has done this before?

First off, it is _wrong_ to use the -m flag when invoking procmail as
the local delivery agent.  You want -d instead.  The -m flag is for the
procmail mailer.

That said, I would rewrite the above as:

        FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
        define(`LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS', LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS`'u)dnl
        MAILER(procmail)dnl

The second line adds the 'u' flag to whatever flags the local_procmail feature
sets.  A quick checks shows that the local_procmail feature sets L_M_F to
include SPhn9, so all you need to add is the 'u' (do you really have login
names that contain uppercase letters?).

Philip Guenther