Re: 2 questions

1998-05-03 07:03:49
Howard Schwartz <theo(_at_)ncal(_dot_)verio(_dot_)com> writes:
I forward mail from any of a long list of senders by using a single
recipe and a long list of from senders, like this:

* ^From .*(name1|\
name2|\
name3\|
etc.

How long can my list of sender names be before exceeding some line
length limit built into the internal egrep used by procmail?

For most installations of procmail, the default size of the line buffer is
2048 (i.e., that's the initial value of LINEBUF).  The procmailrc(5) manpage
should show the correct default value for your site.  If that value is not
large enough you can assign a larger number to LINEBUF and procmail will
allocate a new buffer.

Second, my default shell is c-shell. Therefore should I not use C Chell
syntax in my .forward file to forward mail to procmail for processing?
Most sample .forward lines appear to use bourne shell syntax.

Actually, we recommend that you put
        SHELL = /bin/sh
at the top of your .procailrc and always use bourne shell syntax.  The
C-shell is just broken with regards to programming and scripting.

Philip Guenther