Re: Auto removal of older mail

1998-05-07 07:38:13
|Thu 98-05-07 Michael Salmon
<Michael(_dot_)Salmon(_at_)uab(_dot_)ericsson(_dot_)se> list.procmail
| +----- On Wed, 06 May 1998 09:02:31 PDT, Talent-Management writes:
| | Is it possible to have procmail automatically check a particular mail
| | folder for mail that has been there for a long time (say, 1 week or 1
| | month) and delete it?  Is a script available for a function like this?
|
| I have never seen such a script but it shouldn't be too hard.

I have gathered some pointers to pm-tips.txt (See X-info): Can't comment
any of them because my Emacs Gnus handles mailbox expiration.

Has anyone tried the codes mentined in there? I'd like to
put a "recommendation" or "evaluated" stamp for each.

jari

   33.2 Expire mail pointers

       "Perl mail expire"
        http://www.oasis.leo.org/perl/scripts/net/mail/expire_mail.dsc.html
        Phil Male <phil(_at_)compnews(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
        ...This program removes old messages from system mailboxes. It
        assumes the format of mailboxes to be standard sendmail format mail
        with a blank line followed by a `From ' line starting each and
        every message. Mailbox locking is via flock. Works under SunOS.

       "pick -- Auto deleting old messages"
        [Brian Dockter <brian(_at_)nds(_dot_)com>] ...Once the messages were in
the
        correct folder, I would suggest using cron and mush. mush is able
        to manipulate messages on a wide variety of criteria, but works
        with them once they are already in the folder. Here is a command
        which would delete all messages that are one week old or more:

            pick -ago -1w | delete

        IMHO, with procmail to do the pre-processing, and mush to do the
        post-processing, I have an unbeatable mail combination.

       "EM"
        [Ron Nash <nash(_at_)sdsu(_dot_)edu>] I have em.shar on anonymous
        ftp://ucssun1.sdsu.edu/pub/unix

[zap]

33.6 Code: Sh remove matching lines from file
33.7 Code: Sh expire mail
33.8 Code: Gawk expire mail