Temporarily change system mailbox?

1998-05-07 17:34:43
I want to use Eudora to download only my girlfriend's mail (saved in
a separate file) from a POP server. However, a POP server
(pretty much) will only download the mail from one's default system
mailbox.

Therefore before downloading my girlfriend's mail I need to:

 o Temporarily put my girlfriend's mail in my system mailbox (in my case
   this is $HOME/.mail)
 o Forward general incoming mail to a temporary system mailbox.

After the download completes I need to reverse the process:
 o Copy any mail I received in the temporary mailbox to the
   regular system mailbox (i.e., to $HOME/.mail)
 o Re-route mail coming in back to the system mailbox (to $HOME/.mail)

I have not mastered the subtlties of lockfiles yet. So how can I do the
above SAFELY, that is -- temporarily use my default system mailbox to
download a special set of mail messages -- without losing incoming mail
in the process.

Suggestions appreciatively accepted,

howard (theo(_at_)ccnet(_dot_)com)