MIME parts and Procmail

1998-05-11 19:34:28
Hello,

Has anyone considered adding MIME awareness to procmail? I'd say at least
80% of the mail I deal with on a daily basis at least has some notion of
MIME somewhere, even if it's as simple as the Content-Type: being
text/plain.

Much of it, however, has multiple pieces, and it would be nice to have
some automated means of leveraging the code in procmail to handling
filtering and such against individual portions of a MIME'd message, based
on the content type or transfer encoding (in the case of transfer
encoding, automatic decoding would be cool; and doing the same with
certain content types would be very handy, such as HTML).

Essentially, having the ability to parse on a piece-by-piece basis,
instead of assuming that a message is a set of headers and a body.

Since Procmail is getting a bit dated in terms of features like this, it
may not be worth the trouble of hacking it in now. I believe Sam posted
about another filtering system, similar to Procmail; what would it take to
retrofit something like this into that filtering system?

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

      Spammers: Please email my blacklisting service at
"spam(_at_)logic(_dot_)net".