Re: procmail uses too much memory?

1998-05-26 12:55:14
On Tue, 26 May 1998, Dave wrote:
We've noticed that occasionally, procmail uses a huge chunk of memory.
It's always the same 17MB as reported by the top command.  Can anyone
enlighten me as to why sometimes procmail creates such a huge footprint
and other times doesn't, for the same user with an unchanged .procmailrc
file?

It's an artifact of procmail's memory management. It reads an entire
message into memory before working on it.

Fear the system with procmail as the local delivery agent, where people
are slagging 100M CAD files around. :-)

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

   Linux labyrinth 2.1.101 #2 SMP Sun May 10 22:34:20 GMT 1998 i586 unknown
        2:35pm up 5 days, 15:40, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.12