Re: Handling out-of-memory/empty-set conditions in procmail

1998-05-27 17:01:31
Quoth era eriksson on 27 May 98, at 9:08:

my bash reports a limit of 256 user processes but I'm not sure
if that's per Bash session or per user.

Yup -- I discovered that my ISP hardcoded a 50-process-per-UID
limit in when they compiled bash.  For some odd reason, ulimit
doesn't report it, but a fellow Panixian found the source they
used.  I've nudged them to up it.

In the meantime, I've employed an empty-set bailout, and removed
the 'cat's from my variable assignments, which will reduce the
number of processes used by roughly half.

However, the kind of mailbomb I suffer is the "death by a thousand
tiny cuts" type -- many small emails coming in at once, causing the
number of processes to rise.  I don't have a problem with core dumps.

;^)

Thanks for your help.

--
|We have tried ignorance       |            Tom Betz, Generalist               |
|for a very long time, and     | Want to send me email? First, read this page: |