A better way

1998-05-28 08:43:08

I found trying to filter spam (especially the porn UCE) using
the From: lines not working well due to the craftiness and
bogus From: addresses used by the spam jockeys.

Thanks to help from this list, a SUBSTANTIAL improvement in sending
(especially porn) junk to the crapper has resulted from taking action
on the body portion using:

:0 B
* ()\<(junk word here|junk phrase here|more here|\
      ... many, many lines of words/phrases added...
      plain trash language|known deceptive phrases)\>
/dev/null

As some new cleverly worded sales hype approach slips
through, I add to the recipe.  But I'm thinking there
must be a better way to perhaps keep all of the words
and phrases to filter on in a separate alphabetical
file to simplify making any future corrections.  Maybe
something like a "lookup" list?

Would it be more appropriate to also use a lockfile
like:

:0 B:lockfile.crapper

Can the body word and phrase filtering work on the header
at the same time if I use:

:0 Bh:lockfile.crapper

Thanks much.

Eric