Re: sendmail 8.9.0 doesn't like procmail

1998-07-01 12:23:00
Check the RELEASE_NOTES for other possible values.  Definitely use the
minimum you need to get things working.  Some of the others are:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, & this has turned out to be
a sendmail issue & not a procmail thing, but DEFINITELY, if you
have mysterious problems like this w/ sendmail, DEFINITELY
up your logging levels

(typical default in sendmail.cf:)
# log level
O LogLevel=9

before busting up various kinds of security fixes & tests in
an ad hoc manner.

You may see the REAL problems logged, or at least messages that
give you a better hint.  Frankly, the logged error messages in
this version of sendmail are often very misleading and poor.
I also think there are grounds for questioning some of the new
security behavior, & surely the problem I identified is beyond
security & is really a bug, but in any event with sendmail
one would much rather be safe than sorry.