Re: sendmail 8.9.0 doesn't like procmail

1998-07-01 20:15:39
On 1 July 1998, Michael Helm <helm(_at_)fionn(_dot_)es(_dot_)net> wrote:
Check the RELEASE_NOTES for other possible values.  Definitely use the
minimum you need to get things working.  Some of the others are:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, & this has turned out to be
a sendmail issue & not a procmail thing, but DEFINITELY, if you
have mysterious problems like this w/ sendmail, DEFINITELY
up your logging levels

(typical default in sendmail.cf:)
# log level
O LogLevel=9

before busting up various kinds of security fixes & tests in an ad hoc
manner.

You may see the REAL problems logged, or at least messages that give
you a better hint.  Frankly, the logged error messages in this version
of sendmail are often very misleading and poor.  I also think there
are grounds for questioning some of the new security behavior, &
surely the problem I identified is beyond security & is really a bug,
but in any event with sendmail one would much rather be safe than
sorry.

    FWIW, here's the list of interesting values for LogLevel (from the
operation manual):

      0    Minimal logging.

      1    Serious  system  failures  and potential security
           problems.

      2    Lost communications (network problems) and proto-
           col failures.

      3    Other   serious  failures,  malformed  addresses,
           transient  forward/include   errors,   connection
           timeouts.
      4    Minor failures, out of date alias databases, con-
           nection rejections via check_ rulesets.

      5    Message collection statistics.

      6    Creation of error messages, VRFY  and  EXPN  com-
           mands.

      7    Delivery failures (host or user unknown, etc.).

      8    Successful    deliveries   and   alias   database
           rebuilds.

      9    Messages being deferred  (due  to  a  host  being
           down, etc.).

      10   Database  expansion  (alias,  forward, and userdb
           lookups).

      11   NIS errors and end of job processing.

      12   Logs all SMTP connections.

      13   Log bad user shells, files with improper  permis-
           sions, and other questionable situations.

      14   Logs refused connections.

      15   Log all incoming and outgoing SMTP commands.

      20   Logs  attempts  to run locked queue files.  These
           are not errors, but can be useful to note if your
           queue appears to be clogged.

      30   Lost  locks  (only  if  using  lockf  instead  of
           flock).

      Additionally,  values  above  64  are   reserved   for
      extremely  verbose  debugging  output.  No normal site
      would ever set these.

    So I guess you should probably try 13 for a start --- but beware
that anything higher than 15 will probably produce a _lot_ of messages.

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia