Re: In the process of compiling

1998-07-01 21:14:28
At 19:25 01-07-98 -0700, The Lineman wrote:

MANDIR = $(HOME)/man

would probably do the trick (this is REPLACING a similar line in the
Makefile).  The same thing should apply to the BINDIR variable as well.
Wazzat say?  Read it again.  Ask yourself, "did I change BINDIR?"

Now, it's been a while since I installed 3.11pre7, and when I did it, it
was as administrator, so running the Make pretty much generically did it
just fine.  However, upon revisiting the INSTALL document (you have one),
*RIGHT ON THE FIRST PAGE* is information on making it to your home directory:

        make BASENAME=$HOME install

I appreciate all the help, It was working fine and almost to the end when I
encountered this:
cp new/procmail new/lockfile new/formail new/mailstat /usr/bin
cp: /usr/bin/mailstat: Permission denied
     ^^^^^^^^^

Didn't change the BINDIR to reflect a directory under your home dir, so the
make is STILL trying to copy the built files into the system bin path.

Pointer: at this point, ALL the binaries have been built.  Make is
complete, except that it can't deposit the files in their usual places -
which doesn't matter much since YOU can't put them there either.  Make a
local bin directory under your homedirectory, and cp the files there
yourself.  Be sure to set your paths (both for login and in .procmailrc) so
that YOUR copy is executed first.  Similarily, your .forward file will need
to execute the local procmail, *AND* you're really up a creek (AFAIK) if
the system uses procmail for a local delivery agent - since the older
system copy will be used, not your personal one.

there. I want to run a seperate version of procmail, because the version my
provider is running is quite old.

Suggestion:  Ask your provider to install the current version.  It can't
take much for them to recursively grep the home directories of all users
looking for .forward files or .procmailrc files to see who it might impact
(generally speaking).  Get the history file, and highlight all the
wonderful bugfixes that have been applied since the version the system is
running and the current one, and provide it to the sysadm when you make the
request.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395