Re: In the process of compiling

1998-07-01 17:36:15
At 16:28 01-07-98 -0700, The Lineman wrote:
I am in the process of setting up procmail on a new shell account that I just
started. Everything seemed to be going fine until I encountered an error in
the files.

This is the error:
/bin/sh ./mansed /bin/sh procmailsc.man procmailsc.5 "/bin/rm -f" /dev/null
`../new/procmailsc.5' is up to date.
/bin/sh ./mansed /bin/sh procmailex.man procmailex.5 "/bin/rm -f" /dev/null
`../new/procmailex.5' is up to date.

Not problems - just indicators that the provided manpage files were already
current, and thus were not rebuilt.

cp: /usr/man/man1/procmail.1: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Not a problem with the file, but a problem with YOUR permissions - I'm
going to assume that you're not the ADMINISTRATOR of this system, and
therefore don't have write permissions for that directory, or at least for
that (probably) already existing file.

procmail.1 in the man folder off of the procmail-3.11pre7 folder with the
file
in the /usr/man/man1 folder and they are exactly the same, except for the
date

Guess what: since the help files were already there, your new account
probably already has procmail on the system, which makes the need for
having a personally compiled version somewhat useless (though there are
good reasons for having your own - version independance being one).  Prior
to compiling, have you tried to execute procmail at the command prompt?  Or
run find on it?

procmail folders to prevent the copping of the procmail.1 to /usr/man/man1
folder as the same file is already there and I do not have the permission to

I haven't butchered the makefile, but it seems that you should be able to
fudge the MANDIR variable at the beginning of the Makefile to point to a
subdir on your own user tree.  There, you'd have full rights, and wouldn't
need to mangle any more than necessary in the Makefile.

        MANDIR = $(HOME)/man

would probably do the trick (this is REPLACING a similar line in the
Makefile).  The same thing should apply to the BINDIR variable as well.

to chmod the procmail.1 file in the /usr/man/man1 with no luck. It comes back
with permission denied.

If you aren't system administrator, then *YOU* have no business changing
these files - they affect *ALL* users of the system.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395