Re: Eudora mailbox format

1998-07-02 20:25:25
At 09:33 PM 7/2/98 -0500, Christopher Lindsey wrote:

I'm not sure what the From_ header looks like for Eudora files --
does it just munge the address, or is that all you get?

The datestamp is present. It looks like the only thing munged is the
address itself.

At any rate, procmail will generate From_ headers if there aren't
any, so what about just removing them?

  grep -v "From ???(_at_)???" < mbox.in | formail -ds > mbox.out

If I feed the mbox intact, the first From_ is fixed and the rest are
escaped. (If I use -b, then all From_ lines are unchanged.)

If I remove all the From_s, the first message is fixed but the others are
treated as part of the first message body and never From_ized.

To reiterate, I know formail fixes the From_. The splitting is the tricky
part. If I had all 589 messages each in their own file, then formail on
each would work like a charm.

I think my problem may be solved: it appears that Elm's "readmsg" does
understand the funky delimiter line even if "formail -s" does not. It looks
like I can iterate over "readmsg 1...N | formail" to fix them all. Not
exactly a one-liner, but close enough...

--bill