Re: Direct spam injection to secondary MX

1998-07-12 22:15:29
On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 04:14:30PM -0400, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
Just a warning: the Message-ID header is _not_ required by RFC.

Sure 99.95% of all mail has it, and I do spam checking on Message-ID
conformity, but I wouldn't dump it on that...

I just fed several hundred messages from a backup file through a filter that
checked only for the lack of a Message-ID header. It turns out that many pieces
of legitimate mail lacked this header, in particular anything produced by Eudora
4.0 and something called JMailer. There were various others that slipped
through too, and very view actual spams were caught (I think it might have been
just one). This doesn't appear to be a good thing to filter on.

Chris Johnson