procmail eats up all the system memory

1998-07-14 06:52:37
We're using procmail here to generate automatic carbon copies of incoming
mail, sent to a general "reading file" for auditing (yeah, Big Brotherish,
I know :-) )

What is happening, though, is that whenever anyone sends us huge files
(seven megabytes and up), the carboning causes procmail to allocate the
system's ENTIRE address space (some 48 MB, including the 32 MB of swap
that never gets used otherwise), thereby hanging the mail server for
several hours.

What follows is the recipe I use. Is there any other way of doing this? Or
should I just throw more RAM/swapspace at the problem (something I hate
doing)?

- Julian

################################
# General Sales .procmailrc
################################

PATH=/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin
LOGFILE=.procmail-log
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

# Everything sent to people using this .procmailrc should be carboned
# to the readingfile, except things sent using the <username>@unix
# format.

:0 c
* !^TO(_dot_)*(_at_)unix
! readingfile

# Should drop things through to mailbox as WELL.

            Julian Dunn, System Administrator <jdunn(_at_)aecinfo(_dot_)com>
               AEC InfoCenter Inc. <http://www.aecinfo.com/>
            World's Largest and Most Active Business Center for
   Architecture, Engineering, and Construction: Over 1.2M hits every month!
            Voice: (416) 489-9000  *  Toll Free: 1-800-AEC-6390