transportability of binaries

1998-08-03 14:12:40
Situation:

I need to do some work on a system where there is no working compiler.  The
only available binaries are those that came with the OS.

Having been told that another system's OS was compatible, I copied its
binaries of less 332 and filter (from the Elm package), and both run without
problems.

Of course I didn't do that with procmail; it configures itself at compilation
time and hard-codes the path to $ORGMAIL, the locking methods, and other
things that translate poorly from one site to another.

But is it safe to copy the formail and lockfile binaries?  Is there anything
risky in that?  I could really really use formail over there, even if I have
to call it from a shell script invoked by filter.

DWT