Re: transportability of binaries

1998-08-03 22:42:47
When I asked,

| > But is it safe to copy the formail and lockfile binaries?

Volker Kuhlmann responded,

| I can't see any problem with formail, but lockfile is a stripped down
| procmail. The locking stuff is left in it, and as you observe it's not
| necessarily portable. I don't have a better answer.

Thank you.  But if you use the lockfile binary only for dotlocking, shouldn't
it be safe as well?  Maybe not ... it does all those timing things and such.
Well, I don't really need it.

| However, you mentioned the trick of getting the mail onto a better machine
| first.

The better machine is to come in a week or so, God willing, and it should
have a compiler.  That is all under the control of the owner of the domain,
and she'll tell me when it's ready.