Re: transportability of binaries

1998-08-03 20:19:16
Of course I didn't do that with procmail; it configures itself at compilation
time and hard-codes the path to $ORGMAIL, the locking methods, and other
things that translate poorly from one site to another.

But is it safe to copy the formail and lockfile binaries?

I can't see any problem with formail, but lockfile is a stripped down
procmail. The locking stuff is left in it, and as you observe it's not
necessarily portable. I don't have a better answer.

However, you mentioned the trick of getting the mail onto a better machine
first. I do that too, from SunOS 4.1.3 to Solaris 2.5. That old sun box is
nothing but trouble. I am calling a shell script from within procmailrc
to fix some headers, and the script uses nawk. Fine, except that the
version of nawk is so pathetic it's not funny. Tehy keep on coming like
that, so I just decided bugger that and rsh to a decent machine. Better
losing some CPU cycles than a lot of time fixing obsolete software.

Volker