Re: MIME bugs

1998-08-13 06:39:24
On 13 August 1998, Chris Johnson <cjohnson(_at_)palomine(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 08:54:43AM +0300, Liviu Daia wrote:
On 12 August 1998, Chris Johnson <cjohnson(_at_)palomine(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 09:52:45PM +0300, Liviu Daia wrote:
Take a look at the sources sometimes when you're in the mood for
a good laugh. :-) I'm actually surprised that so many people
have been using Procmail for so long, and nobody bothered to
start a project for a mail filter on sane basis yet.  By that I
mean a "real" replacement for procmail, not a toy like Maildrop.

Okay, I'll bite: what makes you characterize maildrop as a "toy"?

    I only played with Maildrop for a short while, but IIRC it
didn't have header rewriting.  I might remember wrong, of course.

You remember wrong. It has a formail-like program called reformail,
the man page for which is at

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5799/maildrop.reformail.html.
[...]
Anyway, I'm not trying to start a mail-filter religious war. I just
think that you ought to have done more than "play with Maildrop for
a short while" before reporting to everyone on the list that it's a
"toy."

    You are right of course.  After writing that, I checked Maildrop
again, and I posted a message acknowledging my error.  If that was
not enough for you, I'll say it again:  I apologize for any emotional
discomfort that I caused you (or anybody else) by calling Maildrop a
toy; next time I feel like publicly expressing an opinion about Maildrop
I'll check my sources more carefully.  Mea maxima culpa!

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia