Re: tcsh

1998-08-17 11:16:34
Volker Kuhlmann wrote in reply to me,

| Perhaps it is
| not customary to configure the terminal in .bashrc (where else then? -
| only a rhetorical question) ...

Rhetorical but easy to answer: in ~/.profile.

| > Now, why do we never see that question from bash or ksh users?
|
| Because procmail was programed to work with those only. Had it been
| programmed to work with tcsh only the questions would come the other
| way round.

No, it not a prejudice in procmail.  If a bash or ksh user put stty commands
into .bashrc or .kshrc, the same thing would happen when a procmailrc action
contained a character from $SHELLMETAS and invoked a shell as that which
happens to csh and tcsh users who put stty commands into .cshrc.  Why do bash
and ksh users know to put stty commands into .profile, yet csh and tcsh users
are not taught to do the corresponding thing?

| > As to your original problem that mail that falls off the end of your rcfile
| > skips $DEFAULT and goes straight for $ORGMAIL ...
|
| No it does not go for $ORGMAIL either. $ORGMAIL = $DEFAULT as the log
| confirms.

In general, if procmail falls off the end of the rcfile, fails to save to
$DEFAULT, and then fails to save to $ORGMAIL, does it revert to the
compiled-in value of $ORGMAIL?  That would explain that part; it still does
not explain why it can save to $DEFAULT with a specific recipe but not upon
falling off the end.

Nope, I just tried that for myself.  The message was logged as "**Bounced**"
and it vanished.  Besides, my verbose log showed the attempts to save to
$DEFAULT and to $ORGMAIL, whereas your logs do not show that.

| Ok, I tried to set MAILDIR and then DEFAULT relative to it, but still
| no difference.

Thanks for looking into it.

| Just our of curiosity, I should go to the sysops and see whether I can
| change my login shell...  And don't get me wrong, I still think procmail
| is a very good piece of software, but I also think that its shell handling
| (if that turns out to be the problem) is less than satisfactory.

And your problem with $DEFAULT is unrelated to shell selection at any rate.
Good luck.