Re: tcsh

1998-08-17 15:23:06

From kuhlmav(_at_)elec(_dot_)canterbury(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz Sun Aug 16 19:47:09
1998
From: kuhlmav(_at_)elec(_dot_)canterbury(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz (Volker Kuhlmann)
Subject: Re: tcsh

[snip]

~/.login and get it out of your ~/.cshrc.

Because .login (supposed to contain basic important system setting) is
read in before .cshrc (to contain not so important user customisation),
using .login is basically a farce in my opinion. Putting teh contents
of .login into .cshrc with an approprite if .. endif makes that
work. However, not executing the .login part inside .cshrc when the shell
is not interactive is no good solution either because often I have good
reason for my non-interactive uses to have the same environment as my
interactive ones (wrt PATH etc).

Actually, csh and tcsh, executes the .cshrc first, THEN if, and only
if it is the login shell (not a sub shell) it executes the .login.

I won a dinner on this years ago...

To verify this, just add a line to each file something like:

        echo "executing .login"  # in the .login file

        echo "executing .cshrc"  # in the .cshrc file

Then login to that account again.