Re: Unexpected event in .procmailrc

1998-08-24 10:49:41
Colin Raven wrote,

| I had a recipe straight from man procmailex that wasn't working, in fact
| procmail.log reports that procmail" skipped" the bang completely and here
| it is (again)
| :0
| * ^From: Arthur D. Hewitt
|   :0 c
|   !colin(_at_)linus(_dot_)uhmc(_dot_)sunysb(_dot_)edu
|   :0:
|   In.saved
| It does a great job of putting the message into In.saved, but won't
| forward it! OK, now for the strange stuff.

You have no action line on the first recipe ... you just launch straight
into the second one, Colin.  So procmail sees ":0 c" as the action line and
your rcfile reads like this:

If the head has a line beginning "From: Arthur D(any character) Hewitt",
store it in $MAILDIR/:0, skip "c", and exit.

If the head has no such line, skip the action line and run straight into
"!colin(_at_)linus(_dot_)uhmc(_dot_)sunysb(_dot_)edu".  That's neither a
variable assignment nor
the colon-led opening of a recipe, so skip it.  Then put all mail into
$MAILDIR/In.saved.

I can't suggest what to do to fix it because I don't know what you want
to do: do you want to forward mail from Mr. Hewitt to your other account
and then store it in In.saved, or do you want to forward mail from Mr.
Hewitt to your other account and store all *other* mail in In.saved, or
do you want to forward mail from Mr. Hewitt to your other account and
then save all mail, whether or not it came from him, in In.saved?

Or did you perhaps want to do something not yet mentioned to mail from
Mr. Hewitt and then forward it and all other mail to your other account,
and then store it and all other mail in In.saved?  Or did you want to do
something you haven't mentioned to mail from Mr. Hewitt, and then forward
all other mail to your other account and save all mail not from Mr. Hewitt
in In.saved?

All those are possibilities, given what you've posted, and they all have
different solutions.