Re: strip Received and write to mailbox

1998-08-27 13:39:03
Ed Sabol wrote in response to lewst(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com,

| I had a recipe similar to this, and I lost some important
| e-mail a couple days ago when the volume got full. For some reason, procmail
| did not fail back to delivering to $ORGMAIL. I assume this is because the
| delivering action is a pipe and because a shell was exec'ed. Does anyone know
| how to handle such a situation? Would a ":0e" recipe following the above
| recipe prevent such e-mail lossage? I would really like to know.

Procmail considers a pipe recipe to have succeeded as long as the command
accepts the input.  In order to make procmail pay attention to the actual
exit code of the command, you need to add the `w' or `W' flag.

An `e' recipe afterward would not have helped, because procmail already
believed that the piping recipe had succeeded (and if the piping recipe did
not have a `c' flag, procmail wouldn't even read the rest of the rcfile).

On the other hand, procmail does see write errors, so if the action is a
save rather than a pipe, procmail will notice if there isn't enough room in
the filesystem.  But whether the command in a pipe needs a shell or not
shouldn't have any effect.