Extract a string of text from the body and asing it to a variable

1998-10-12 07:42:26
I started with procmail a week ago. A few days ago a posted a question
concerning a reference number. Thank you, it's working fine.
I am using procmail to provide support through email(getting it ready). When
a customer sends  a support request, a reference number is generated, and
the customer receives an autoresponder with the reference number. Then I
copy the message to a support directory, and I also email a copy of the
support request to support personel, adding the reference number in the
body. This is working fine.

Now, when support personnel answers the support request, I want them also to
send a copy to support, and then I need to extract the reference number from
the body of the email, (I added that reference number previously so it
should be in their reply).

My question is:

1) How do I extract that string of text from the body, the reference number,
and assign it to a variable. The structure of the reference number is:

REF#12345678
Please note that "REF#" is always the same, and 12345678 are 8 digits from 0
to 9 .

2) Once I extracted the reference number and asign it to a variable, let's
say $REFERENCE, how do I change the subject of the email for the variable
$REFERENCE ?

Thank you

Daniel
Daniel Fernandez
danielf(_at_)bipbip(_dot_)com(_dot_)uy Tel: 59899667353
Domital Corporation