Re: spool monitoring and "new mail" notification

1998-10-15 10:05:50
At 11:39 15-10-98 +0000, Greg Fall wrote:

notification feature doesn't work.  Does anybody have a solution that
will at least enable a MUA to spot changes in the spool before procmail
moves the new arrivals?

You mean like comsat/biff?

Heh, this is usually something people are trying to turn OFF (which is my
case as well, so if I'm off mark here, I'm sure someone will correct me).

.procmailrc:
        # enable comsat / biff notification
        COMSAT=on

Note that you're supposed to be able to change the setting on-the-fly - so
you can for instance turn it off at the top of your .procmailrc, but then
turn it on for some specific recipe, so you can get notification for just
CERTAIN messages (which may be preferrable to getting interrupted that you
have new mail only to find that it is junk).

See 'man biff' for the console daemon setting, which more than likely needs
to be ON (biff y).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395