Re: spool monitoring and "new mail" notification

1998-10-15 10:47:38
1998-10-15-11:39:02 Greg Fall:
Most MUA's watch a user's mail spool for changes, maybe checking every 30
seconds or something along those lines, and they provide some
notification (e.g. a beep and output of the most-recently-arrived
message's subject line) when new messages arrive.  However, if messages
arriving at the spool are immediately sent to procmail and are then sent
to various folders, the MUA does not know mail has arrived and its
notification feature doesn't work.  Does anybody have a solution that
will at least enable a MUA to spot changes in the spool before procmail
moves the new arrivals?

I'm afraid I don't, but I've not been bothered by this.

I use procmail to file messages into many folders; some of them I want to
track actively, others of which I just keep for reference. Those I want to
actively track, I list for mutt in its mailboxes line; this both gives me
realtime notification when any new email arrives in any of them, and also lets
me easily switch to the next one that has unread email.

Also, when I want a GUI notification I use xbuffy. As I use it with Maildir, I
find it and my other tools via links off <URL:http://www.qmail.org/>.

-Bennett