Re: responding to UBE messages

1998-11-03 08:34:17

| How do I set up an autoresponder?  I want to autorespond to abuse mail,
| I've uploaded the abuse.txt file, but the recipe is giving me a lot of
| problems.

Autoresponder is bad idea. You need more better heuristics than what procmail
can do. The UBE messages really need human instpection before you send them
out,
otherwise you may have to apologise from lot of people eg if the complaint
was mistakenly sent of to some mailing list or wrong address.

Having originally set up my anti-spam recipes to be autoresponders,
I absolutely agree with this.  I recall one morning when my strongly-
worded no-spam message went out to *everyone* who sent me email for
several hours.....  *** shudder ***

Now I use the Alcor filters as described in the March 1998 issue of
Linux Journal.  Most of the spam I get gets dumped into a mail file
that I can check for false positives once a week or so.  Great heur-
istics, but not foolproof....