Re: responding to UBE messages

1998-11-03 12:29:56
At 19:30 03-11-98 +0200, Jari Aalto+list.procmail spoke:

|Tue 1998-11-03 Mark Shaw <mshaw(_at_)asic(_dot_)sc(_dot_)ti(_dot_)com>
list.procmail
| worded no-spam message went out to *everyone* who sent me email for
| several hours.....  *** shudder ***

I make it a policy these days to NOT auto-respond to spam messages (most
are forged anyway) - though when I did (I still have dormant rules), I did
so by using a mail alias that was specifically for the purpose (i.e. -
messages sent to is WERE trashed, no questions asked).  When the occasional
spam gets through my defences, I check it for what characteristics would
best eliminate it and similar ones in the future, add to the rules (usually
a domain addition, or subject key phrases - both external data files to the
filters themselves).

When I do respond to spam, it is direct to the ISPs involved (via manual
diagnosys of the headers), as well as to the butthead, if possible.  I
usually enjoy dropping a derrogative or two about the customer when
requesting that the ISP take swift action to terminate the account and bar
them from signing up again.

"trap it, move it to folder, look into folder later". My UBE gets dumped
   ~/Mail/spool/junk.ube.spool

I flag spam with extra blurbs to the logfile, then run a simple grep report
via a crontab:

        grep -A 4 ^SPAM: ~/Mail/log | grep -v ^--

(this is in a scriptfile called spamrep, so I can run it manually when I
want to - it isn't coded direct intothe crontab).  Dumps the important bits
of headers, like so:

        SPAM: Match against spam domain list.
        INFO: TwitFilter v01.03.13  SBS  1998.10.14 08:52:20