Re: procmail as MDA, howto disable procmailrc

1998-11-04 20:00:40
Walter Haidinger <walter(_dot_)haidinger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net> writes:
Recently I told fetchmail to use "/usr/bin/procmail -d root" as Mail
Delivery Agent instead of sendmail (with which I got "file table
overflows").

If you're not using a version of fetchmail that knows how to talk SMTP
to a sendmail daemon, then you definitely should upgrade and use that
method instead.  That solves most of the MDA problems.  Then, reread
the fetchmail manpage, and in particular, the section titled "THE USE
AND ABUSE OF MULTIDROP".  This really isn't a procmail problem, but a
general mail transport problem for which you should be using mail
transport tools like fetchmail and sendmail.

As fetchmail runs as root, the MDA procmail runs as root too and reads
~root/.procmailrc. How can I disable this? All incoming mails should just
be dropped into root's default mailbox /var/spool/mail/root. However, I'd
like to make use of procmail advanced locking mechanism.

The problem is, that I use root's mailbox as a mail distributor.

This is a very bad idea.  What if someone sends mail to root?  Use the
sendmail queue for mail storage.

Philip Guenther