Re: procmail as MDA, howto disable procmailrc

1998-11-05 13:08:08
On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Philip Guenther wrote:

If you're not using a version of fetchmail that knows how to talk SMTP
to a sendmail daemon, then you definitely should upgrade and use that
method instead.  That solves most of the MDA problems.  Then, reread
the fetchmail manpage, and in particular, the section titled "THE USE
AND ABUSE OF MULTIDROP".  This really isn't a procmail problem, but a
general mail transport problem for which you should be using mail
transport tools like fetchmail and sendmail.

I have fetchmail 4.6.3 and it used to connect to sendmail listening
on port 25. However, just having a dialup connection, too much mail was
once fetched too quickly and exceeded the kernel limits (open files). Just
too much load for my 486. I know that sendmail can queue instead of
deliver on heavy system load. Instead, I chose to take the shortcut by
directly calling procmail like I do in my .procmailrc:
   | someuser(_at_)localhost
is replaced by
   | procmail -d someuser
This really took away lots of system load and I'm still thankful to you
for suggesting this. Sendmail is a bit too overweight for me if called
several times concurrently...

Now for the multidrop feature: I doubt that I need it.
In fact, there is just one person (me) using my computer. Therefore all
mail I receive at my ISP's mailbox is intended for me. However, I use
several user accounts (for myself!) on my machine to sort out e.g. mailed
stuff from my university account. Helps to keep things seperated.

The problem is, that I use root's mailbox as a mail distributor.

This is a very bad idea.  What if someone sends mail to root?  Use the
sendmail queue for mail storage.

Again, ALL users including root are "owned" by myself. Root distributes MY
mail among user accounts owned by ME. There is no other person.

Now, I do hope that I clearfied this topic. ;-)
If you think that I still need multidrop, please tell me. You never know
for sure...

Back to my inital question:
How do I prevent procmail from parsing ~/.procmailrc. According to the
procmail man-page, only options allowed with -d are -toYfa, no -m !

Fetchmail runs "procmail -d root" to deliver mail. The only thing this
procmail should do is store mail to root's default mailbox
(/var/spool/mail/root). Parsing of root's .procmail is NOT desired.
How can I achieve this behaviour?

Regards, Walter

--
Walter Haidinger <walter(_dot_)haidinger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>
Student of Electrical Engineering,University of Technology,Vienna,Austria