procmail as MDA, howto disable procmailrc

1998-11-04 14:59:09
Hi!

Recently I told fetchmail to use "/usr/bin/procmail -d root" as Mail
Delivery Agent instead of sendmail (with which I got "file table
overflows").

As fetchmail runs as root, the MDA procmail runs as root too and reads
~root/.procmailrc. How can I disable this? All incoming mails should just
be dropped into root's default mailbox /var/spool/mail/root. However, I'd
like to make use of procmail advanced locking mechanism.

The problem is, that I use root's mailbox as a mail distributor.
That is, whenever new mail arrives in root's default mailbox (from
fetchmail's MDA procmail) ~root/.procmailrc *should* be parsed.

Now, it seems that there are two procmails (MDA and whenever mail is
delivered) running concurrently, both parsing ~root/.procmailrc, thus
creating deadlocks.

To clearify things, I'd like to show a desited example sequence:

1. fetchmail uses procmail as MDA to deliver mail to /var/spool/mail/root.
   This works, but procmail parses ~root/.procmailrc too.

2. The MDA procmail runs another procmail (because mail was delivered).
   The new procmail *shall* read ~root/.procmailrc and continue to process
   it.

So, in short, what can I do to only prevent the MDA procmail to read
.procmailrc? The procmail man page gave me no clue.

If there are still questions about my setup, please ask! Thanks!

Regards, Walter

--
Walter Haidinger <walter(_dot_)haidinger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>
Student of Electrical Engineering,University of Technology,Vienna,Austria