Re: case sensitivity

1998-11-09 13:53:53
On 9 November 1998, Karl Vogel
<vogelke(_at_)c17mis(_dot_)region2(_dot_)wpafb(_dot_)af(_dot_)mil>
wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:14:34 +0200, daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
said:

L> On 9 November 1998, Jari Aalto+list.procmail
L> <jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com> wrote:
   >> I've never met a system where Username would be case sensitive.

L> Umm, try using "Jari" instead of "jari" on a Unix system. :-)

   I'm running sendmail-8.8.8 under Solaris 2.5.1 plus procmail.  I
   have no trouble sending local or remote messages to "vogelke",
   "VOGELKE", or "VOgelke".

    You miss the point.  Try _logging in_ as "VOGELKE".  Theoretically,
you may have both a "vogelke" and a "VOGELKE" on the same system, and
they would be are different.  That is, for the system, not for sendmail
(with the default config).  Still, as somebody pointed out earlier, the
user "VOGELKE" could never receive mail with the default sendmail setup.
This thread is starting to look recursive and quite off-topic, isn't it?

On 9 November 1998, Christopher Lindsey