Re: case sensitivity

1998-11-09 05:26:08
On 9 November 1998, Jari Aalto+list.procmail
<jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com>
wrote:
|Sat 1998-11-07 Liviu Daia <daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro>
list.procmail
| > >     Seriously though, the non case sensitivity of email is
| > > probably (i'd like to know the history) a design decision, not
| > > unintentional.
|
|     Like I said, it is case sensitive, it's sendmail that treats it
| as if it weren't.

Hm.

    RFC 1036:/2.1.1.  From

    Note that in all host and domain names, upper and
    lower case are considered the same, thus
"mark(_at_)cbosgd(_dot_)ATT(_dot_)COM",
    "mark(_at_)cbosgd(_dot_)att(_dot_)com", and
"mark(_at_)CBosgD(_dot_)ATt(_dot_)COm" are all equivalent.
    User names may or may not be case sensitive, for example,

    ... which means MTAs should preserve the case of usernames, since
the recipient system may fall into the "may" cathegory. :-)

I've never met a system where Username would be case sensitive.

    Umm, try using "Jari" instead of "jari" on a Unix system. :-)

    Regards,

    Liviu

--
Dr. Liviu Daia                   e-mail:   daia(_at_)stoilow(_dot_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics         web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia